Scholarships in the USA for International Students: So you’re looking to study in the United States, but don’t want to take on a mountain of debt? You’re in luck! There are plenty of fully funded scholarships out there for international students like you if you know where to look. In this article, we’ll walk you through some of the best opportunities across a variety of fields.
The United States offers many generous scholarships for international students that cover the full cost of tuition as well as living expenses. If money is holding you back from studying in America, don’t lose hope!
Top Fully Funded Scholarships for International Students
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government. It provides funding for international graduate students, young professionals and artists to study or research in the U.S. for one year. The grant covers tuition fees, living expenses, round-trip airfare, health insurance and full financial support.
1. Gates Cambridge Scholarship
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship funds postgraduate study at the University of Cambridge for outstanding international students. The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition and living expenses for the duration of study. Candidates apply directly to the University of Cambridge for admission, and those who are accepted may then be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars Program funds graduate study at Stanford University for high-achieving international students. The scholarship covers full tuition, living expenses, health insurance, and includes leadership and professional development programs. Candidates must apply and gain admission to a graduate program at Stanford independently before being considered for funding.
2. Rhodes Scholarship
The Rhodes Scholarship funds postgraduate study at the University of Oxford for exceptional international students. The scholarship covers all college and university fees, provides a stipend for living expenses and also includes travel costs. Candidates must have a first degree and apply directly to the University of Oxford before applying for the Rhodes Scholarship.
3. Schwarzman Scholars Program
The Schwarzman Scholars Program funds a one-year master’s degree in global affairs at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China. The program covers full tuition, room and board, travel and living expenses, and leadership opportunities. Candidates apply directly to the program which seeks to prepare future global leaders with an understanding of China.
4. Fulbright Foreign Student Program
The Fulbright program offers full scholarships for international students to pursue graduate study and research in the U.S. Awards include tuition, airfare, a living stipend, and health insurance. Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and English proficiency. Countries have their own national screening committees to select candidates. It is one of the most prestigious and generous scholarship programs for international students.
5. MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program provides full scholarships for undergraduate and master’s study at selected U.S. universities. It targets students from Sub-Saharan Africa who have demonstrated academic talent and leadership potential but lack the financial means to study abroad. The scholarship includes tuition, room and board, books, and travel expenses.
6. American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
American University in Washington D.C. offers the Emerging Global Leader Scholarship for international students. Full scholarships are awarded to exceptional applicants from all majors who demonstrate strong leadership potential. The award includes full tuition, room, board, and mandatory fees for all four years of study. Candidates must have a minimum 3.8 GPA and SAT score of 1300 or ACT score of 29.
There are also many scholarships offered through private organizations, non-profits, religious groups, and charitable foundations in the U.S. Do thorough research on the eligibility criteria and benefits of different programs. While competition is high, the rewards of a fully funded scholarship at a top American university are well worth the effort. If you have a strong academic record and clear vision for your future, don’t hesitate to apply!
To find other fully funded scholarship opportunities, explore national governments, private philanthropic organizations, higher education institutions, and specific fields of study. There are many options out there for motivated international students, so do thorough research to find programs you may be eligible for. These life-changing scholarships can open up a world of possibilities for your future.
READ ALSO: Best Business Auto Loans
How to Find and Apply for Fully Funded Scholarships in the USA
The key to finding fully funded scholarships in the US is doing your research and applying to as many as possible. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Check the US Department of State website for scholarships and grants offered through the US government. Options like the Fulbright Foreign Student Program and the Humphrey Fellowship Program offer full funding for international students.
- Explore scholarship databases like International Scholarships, FastWeb, and Cappex. These sites allow you to filter by fully funded scholarships and your country of citizenship. You can also set up alerts to notify you when new scholarship opportunities become available.
- Look into scholarships offered by US colleges and universities. Many schools provide generous funding and tuition waivers for top international applicants. Do some research on schools you’re interested in to see what kind of merit-based aid they offer.
- Apply to scholarships offered by private organizations like the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, the Schwarzman Scholars Program, and the Ford Foundation International Fellowships Program. These prestigious scholarships provide full funding for undergraduate and graduate study in the US.
- Start researching and applying as early as possible. Some scholarships have deadlines up to a year before the start of the academic year. Begin researching options at least 12-18 months before you plan to study in the US.
- Get help from an education advisor. They can help determine which scholarships you may be eligible for based on your background, interests, and academic program. They can also review your application materials and essays to make sure you have the strongest application possible.
- Apply widely. Don’t limit yourself to only the most well-known scholarships. Apply to as many as possible that you are eligible for to increase your chances of receiving an award. Even small scholarships can help fund your education if you win several of them.
The key is persistence and giving yourself plenty of time. With hard work and determination, you can win full funding to earn your degree from a top university in the United States. Good luck!